We traveled the scenic trains through Switzerland as two couples (55’s and 65’s). Pepe at Magic Travel Services/Magic Switzerland did a fantastic job organizing and booking our trains, first class seating, hotels, and some pickups from train stations. (other hotels were so close we walked to them). 11 days using the Swiss rail pass.
We had fantastic September weather.
Brief recount: Zurich to Lucerne regular train. Did Mt Pilatus (the first of many WOW moments). Lucerne to Lugano on Gotthard Panorama Express (included boat trip) (tip-don’t use the Gotthard Base Tunnel train – no views). Lugano to St Moritz on Bernina Express (Bernina Pass and Brusio Spiral Viaduct). St Moritz to Zermatt on Glacier Express (spectacular). Had 2 nights here but wished we had longer (went up the Gornergrat for spectacular views of Matterhorn). Zermatt to Montreux by regular train. Golden Pass train from Montreux to Interlaken (fantastic)- and we did train excursion to Mt Jungfrau from Interlaken. Regular train to Zurich.
Be aware you must get your own bags on the train, and be first on board to fit them in the small baggage section at the front of each carriage (usually only 2 first class). The food on board was nice and not over-priced. Seating very comfortable. Staff great. Swiss trains run on time. You can board approximately 10 minutes before departure.
Switzerland is a dream come true.
- Combining Graubünden and Ticino by Postal Bus
- For the Complete Swiss Experience: Touring Ticino
- A Family Outing to Churwalden-Lenzerheide, a Perfect Holiday Region in Southeast Switzerland
- Rosenlaui – Schwarzwaldalp – A Natural Treasure in Bernese Oberland
- Travel Back in Time with a Steam Train from 1892
- From History to Nature – Must-Visit Places in Northern Switzerland
- Hiking Trails – Switzerland is a hiker’s paradise
- 10 stunning Selfie Spots in Switzerland – many Likes guaranteed
- Glacier Express – traveling across Switzerland in style
- Walk through Basel – best places to see
- New Switzerland package based on the TV show “Crash Landing on You”
- Cycling in the Heart of the Alps – from Chur to Grindelwald
- Hanging Bridges and Cliff Walks – a dose of Adrenaline for your vacation
- Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland
- Berne – A historical gem in central Switzerland
- What to bring for a winter vacation in Switzerland – Packing list
- Those Swiss Peaks!
- Culinary experiences in Switzerland
- Traveling worry free with the Swiss Travel Pass
- Switzerland for families – Outdoor activities
- Swiss cities among the safest destinations you can visit
- Christmas and Christmas Markets in Switzerland