Glacier Express – traveling across Switzerland in style
by Sombatua Sihotang, January 12, 2021
Switzerland’s railway system is widely acknowledged as the most comprehensive one in the world. It is indeed very convenient to discover Switzerland by train. The country’s stunning landscapes can be enjoyed through the windows of any train. Though scenic trains with panoramic windows offer exceptional views along routes of particular interest to travelers.
One of the most famous Swiss panoramic trains is the Glacier Express. It connects two of Switzerland’s great ski resorts through an eight-hour journey – the luxurious St. Moritz in Grisons and Zermatt with the world-renowned Matterhorn in Valais. The train travels across 291 bridges and through 91 tunnels on its journey between St. Moritz and Zermatt. The Glacier Express is known as the slowest express train in the world.
During the journey you will be amazed by breathtaking landscapes and charming villages. You travel along the Albula Line, which has UNESCO World Heritage status, through turn-tunnels and across spectacular viaducts. The most famous one might be the Landwasser Viaduct, a masterpiece of engineering which was built more than a 100 years ago. The train passes the Oberalp Pass where the river Rhine has its origin, the Rhine Gorge – the so-called “Swiss Grand Canyon”, the Furka Section and the Matter valley. The trip is worth it any time of the year and offers you different views of Switzerland’s scenery depending on the season. I really enjoyed my train ride in winter, being cozy inside while watching the landscape partly covered in snow passing by.
The train has 1st and 2nd class carriages and both have big panoramic windows, all the way to the roof. The 1st class seats are a bit more spacious as there are only three seats in a row. Travelers can also order food and beverages which are served at the seat. For passengers interested in learning more about the route and sites along the way headphones are provided.
If you don’t feel like doing the entire eight-hour trip, you can also do only a part of the journey and board or leave the train optionally in Chur, Andermatt or Brig.
Since the Glacier Express Excellence Class has been launched in 2019, this panoramic journey through the Swiss Alps has gotten even more spectacular. The Excellence Class sets high standards, you travel in luxurious style and comfort: The ticket includes a regional five-course menu with accompanying wines served at your window seat, Afternoon Tea, soft drinks and snacks, exclusive access to the Glacier Bar and a Concierge.
Would you like us to book your Glacier Express rail journey? Please, get in touch with us!
- Hiking Trails – Switzerland is a hiker’s paradise
- Glacier Express – traveling across Switzerland in style
- Walk through Basel – best places to see
- New Switzerland package based on the TV show “Crash Landing on You”
- Cycling in the Heart of the Alps – from Chur to Grindelwald
- Hanging Bridges and Cliff Walks – a dose of Adrenaline for your vacation
- Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland
- Berne – A historical gem in central Switzerland
- What to bring for a winter vacation in Switzerland – Packing list
- Those Swiss Peaks!
- Culinary experiences in Switzerland
- Traveling worry free with the Swiss Travel Pass
- Switzerland for families – Outdoor activities
- Swiss cities among the safest destinations you can visit
- Christmas and Christmas Markets in Switzerland