Hallwyl Castle – 800 Years of History
The historic edifice was constructed in the 11th century and is one of the most important water castles of Switzerland. It is located at the northern end of Lake Hallwil, on two islands in the river Aabach. The impressive complex has been open to the public since 1925.
The water castle Hallwyl was the family seat of the minor nobility of Hallwyl for 800 years. The family members of this lineage made their mark on the Confederate battlefields, at the European courts, in science, in politics, in commerce and in the world of finance.
An exhibition at Hallwyl Castle portrays the lives of eleven representatives who were chosen from the over 500 family members, (one representative for each of eleven topics covered in the exhibition). Wilhelmna von Hallwyl (1844-1930) restored the castle complex and made it accessible to the public in 1925 by means of a family foundation. In 1994 the castle was given to the Canton of Aargau as a gift.
Possibilities to rent: Yes
Capacity: Up to 80 people (concert seating)
Catering facilities: Yes