Escorted Grand Train Tour of Switzerland
Zürich – Pontresina – Zermatt – Montreux – Bern – Lucerne – Zürich
Discover diverse regions and cultures of Switzerland on this 11-day escorted train tour. Explore cultural differences within the country and its four languages with a native Swiss tour guide. This is a great opportunity to visit the very best of Switzerland. The tour highlights are Alpine peaks and vistas, a ride on the famous Glacier Express train, a medieval Water Castle, the Lavaux wine region, a ride on the Golden Pass train, a visit to the watchmaking town of La Chaux-de-Fonds and a visit to the Emmentaler cheese dairy, all enjoyed in the comfort of first class Swiss trains.
Tour Program (11 Days / 10 Nights)
Valid: June 11 – 21 & Sept. 15 – 25, 2018
Day 1: Zürich Airport – Pontresina
You will meet the group at Zürich Airport in the morning. Each person will have the use of a first class Swiss Travel Pass, in case you arrive early. No need to worry about your luggage as it is being sent directly to your destination. We proceed right away to Pontresina for our first mountain excursion on top of Muottas Muragl (elev. 8051 ft). Overnight at the 3* Hotel Allegra, Pontresina.
Day 2: Poschiavo / Mt. Diavolezza
Today we’ll take the train from Pontresina to Poschiavo which is the most scenic part of the Bernina Express. We will observe one of the most natural areas of Switzerland from the train. Upon arrival we’ll explore the remote alpine village of Poschiavo on foot. Then we head back towards Pontresina with the postal bus and on the way ascend Mt. Diavolezza to gaze at two of the most beautiful Alpine peaks. After Mt. Diavolezza, we head back to our hotel in Pontresina.
Day 3: Pontresina – Glacier Express – Zermatt
The slowest express train in the world, the Glacier Express, traverses 91 tunnels and crosses more than 291 bridges. We will enjoy a 2-course lunch on the train before arriving in Zermatt, located at the foot of the Matterhorn mountain. Overnight at the 4* Hotel Ambassador, Zermatt.
Day 4: Zermatt / Mountain Excursion
There is no better way to enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery around Zermatt than by taking a hike. If you prefer a more leisurely pace, just take the Gornergrat cogwheel train or Sunegga train on top of the mountain to enjoy the views. Overnight in Zermatt.
Day 5: Zermatt – Montreux
Leaving Zermatt we head to the French speaking Lake Geneva region and visit the famous Water Castle of Chillon, which dates back to the 10th Century. Overnight at the 4* Hotel Eurotel or 4* Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic, Montreux.
Day 6: Lavaux Wine Region
Today, a bus will take us through Lausanne and on to the Lavaux region for a full day excursion. Covering almost 2000 acres, Lavaux is the largest contiguous vineyard region in Switzerland, and its daringly constructed hillside terraces which have been protected by UNESCO since 2007. Return to Montreux for overnight.
Day 7: Montreux – Golden Pass – Bern
Leaving Montreux on the Golden Pass Belle Époque Train to Zwei-simmen and Interlaken is another highlight of this trip. In Interlaken we will visit the Schynige Platte, a viewing terrace with views over the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and the Lake of Brienz. We end the day in the Swiss capital of Bern, a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site, at the 4* Hotel Allegro.
Day 8: Watch-Making Capital: La Chaux-De-Fonds
We will enjoy a day trip by train to the town of La Chaux-de-Fonds, the birthplace of Le Corbusier, and the world capital of the watch making industry for over a hundred years. Walking La Chaux-de-Fonds we experience the only city in Switzerland with a chessboard street and avenue design which was created at the beginning of the 19th century after a devastating fire. We return to Bern for overnight.
Day 9: Bern – Emmentaler Cheese Show Dairy – Luzern
In the morning we enjoy a guided walking tour of Bern to show us the highlights of the capital of Switzerland. Then we take the train to the Emmental valley, world-famous for its cheese with the big holes. Visit to the Emmentaler Show Dairy, including lunch. Continue to Luzern for overnight at the 3* Hotel Waldstätterhof.
Day 10: Luzern/Mt. Rigi
Enjoy a guided walk through old town Luzern. We then take the train to Arth-Goldau and take the cog-wheel train up to Rigi Kulm. Walking leisurely to Rigi Kaltbad we will see mountains and Lake Lucerne. We descend to Vitznau where we connect with the boat for a cruise back to Luzern. Farewell dinner with Folklore Show at the Restaurant Stadtkeller. Overnight in Luzern.
Day 11: Departure Switzerland
Today is our last day in Switzerland. You may make your way by direct train in an hour to Zürich Airport to fly home or to Basel to start a river cruise. Or you may decide to add a few more days on your own. Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid for five more days so your travel is already covered. Either way, we hope you enjoyed the best of Switzerland with us. Happy Travels!
Prices per Person in US$
|June 11 – 21, 2018 & Sept. 15 – 25, 2018||3,845|
Supplements per person in US$
|Senior discount (60+)||50|
Our Price Includes
- 10 nights’ accommodation in standard twin-bedded rooms in hotels mentioned above, or similar (standard single room for single travelers)
- 1 Express flight luggage piece per person (transportation of 1 suitcase directly to Pontresina on arrival day)
- First class rail travel with a 15-consecutive Swiss Travel Pass (which allows you to add days before and/or after this tour and travel for free), including free entry to over 490 Swiss Museums.
- Breakfast daily at the hotels
- 1 two-course lunch on the Glacier Express train (excluding drinks)
- 1 lunch at the Emmentaler Cheese Show Dairy (excluding drinks)
- 1 Farewell dinner with Folklore Show at the Restaurant Stadtkeller in Luzern (excluding drinks)
- Travel on these scenic routes: Glacier Express Panoramic, Golden Pass Classic, Bernina Express line
- These mountain excursions: Muottas Muragl, Diavolezza, Gornergrat or Sunegga, Schynige Platte, Rigi
- Visits and excursions as described in the itinerary
- Transportation of 1 suitcase by train on 3 days (day 5, 7 and 9). On day 3 and 11, participants will carry their own luggage on the train.
- An English speaking Swiss Tour Escort throughout
- There will be considerable walking and stair climbing on this tour and you must be able to keep up with the group.
- We have purchased a Group Protection Plan with Travel Insured on behalf of all participants (covering 11 days of land arrangements).
- Transatlantic flights and meals, except where mentioned, are not included. Any other item not mentioned in the itinerary is not included.
- Our Terms and Conditions apply (a copy is available on our website).
- Rates may change due to currency fluctuation, inquire at time of booking.
- The departure is guaranteed with 12 participants and the group maximum is 25 participants.
- The tour will be guaranteed or cancelled 6 weeks before departure date at the very latest.
Reserve Escorted Tour
Check availability and make a reservation: