Grand Tour of Switzerland by car
Zürich – St. Gallen – Davos – Lugano – Zermatt – Montreux – Gstaad – Lucerne – Zürich
Take an unforgettable road trip through Switzerland, at your own pace. The country is small but offers an incredible variety of attractions: from palm-lined, crystal clear lakes to snow-covered mountain peaks, from green, rolling hills with farms to historic old towns and vibrant cities. Not to forget the culinary delights: You might sample not only the tastiest chocolate and cheese, but also some local specialties in each region. Let your adventure start: Book your Grand Tour of Switzerland with us!
- St. Gallen’s Abbey precinct with library
- Sunny Engadine valley with its dark-blue mountain lakes
- Lugano’s Mediterranean flair including mountain scenery
- Car-free resort of Zermatt with the world-famous Matterhorn
- Montreux with the terraced Lavaux vineyards, UNESCO World Heritage
- Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau, the impressive peaks in Bernese Oberland
- Bern’s old town with 6km of arcades
- Lucerne with the Chapel bridge, imbedded within an impressive mountain panorama
Tour Program (9 Days / 8 Nights)
Individual arrival in Zurich. Time at leisure to explore the vibrant city with its unique mix of attractions on your own.
Overnight in Zurich.
Drive to St. Gallen with a stopover at the Rhine Falls, mainland Europe’s largest waterfalls. St. Gallen’s historic Abbey precinct with the cathedral and Abbey Library has been listed as UNESCO World Heritage and belongs to the top attractions along the Grand Tour of Switzerland.
Overnight in St. Gallen.
Drive from St. Gallen to Davos. On your way you pass the small town of Appenzell, situated in a landscape of rolling hills. The Appenzell region is known for rural customs and traditions. As an option you might stop in Eastern Switzerland’s wine area Bündner Herrschaft, before continuing to Davos.
Overnight in Davos.
On your way to Lugano in Southern Switzerland a visit to Muottas Muragl is recommended, a mountain in the Upper Engadine, overlooking the entire valley including world famous St.Moritz. Continue to Lugano. Stroll through Lugano’s old town to experience the Southern lifestyle.
Overnight in Lugano.
Visit Monte Brè or San Salvatore before departing for Zermatt. Drive via Locarno towards Täsch, where you park the car before taking the train to the car-free resort of Zermatt.
Overnight in Zermatt.
A trip up to Gornergrat with amazing views of the Matterhorn is not to be missed. Back in Täsch your final leg takes you through the Valais to Montreux, one of the most popular holiday destinations in the Lake Geneva region. Don’t miss out on the historic water Castle Chillon, situated on the shores of Lake Geneva.
Overnight in Montreux.
Today you have one of your longest drives but also a very fascinating one with interesting sights along your way to Gstaad. Drive through the orchards and terraced vineyards of the Lavaux to Lausanne and from here continue your drive to Freiburg, which is nestled on a rock promontory. Further on your way you will pass the Gruyère region, home to the world-famous Gruyère cheese.
Overnight in Gstaad.
Continue your journey either towards Interlaken or Berne, before heading to Lucerne. From Interlaken you can experience the majestic Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau summits. Otherwise head to Bern, the capital of Switzerland. The old town of Bern is UNESCO World Heritage and thanks to its 6 kilometres of arcades boasts one of the longest sheltered shopping promenades in Europe.
Overnight in Lucerne.
Lucerne is the gateway to central Switzerland, and it is embedded within an impressive mountainous panorama. One of the highlights of Lucerne is the Chapel Bridge. Drive to Zurich Airport for rental car drop off. Departure.
This is a self-guided tour. We map out the entire trip for you and include directions to your hotels and the suggested activities. This way you will be able to travel independently but have a lot of guidelines, travel tips and our expert advice before and during your trip available.
Our Package Price Includes
- 1 overnight incl. breakfast each in Zürich, St. Gallen, Davos, Lugano, Zermatt, Montreux, Gstaad and Lucerne; 3* hotel, standard double room with private facilities
- Rental car for 9 days with pick-up and drop-off at Zurich Airport
- Parking at all hotels except for Zermatt/Täsch
- Return rail ticket in 2nd class between Täsch and Zermatt
- Grand Tour of Switzerland Road Map
- Grand Tour of Switzerland Travel Guide
- Swiss Coupon Pass with Dine & Discover offers en route
- Travel itinerary
- Service charge
- Upgrade rental car, option for upgrade to Tesla
- Upgrade to 4* or 5* hotels
- Additional nights
- Itinerary bookable in reverse
- Open jaw is possible (i.e. starting in Geneva and ending in Zurich or v.v.)
The entire Grand Tour of Switzerland is even longer than the suggested route in above package. If you have more time to discover Switzerland, or would like to do only part of the Grand Tour, we are happy to put together a custom Grand Tour package for you. Please fill in below form.
Our Package Does NOT Include
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Transfers, meals and activities not mentioned in the list of inclusions
- Local taxes
Grand Tour reservation request
Check availability and make a reservation:
Grand Tour of Switzerland - Self Drive Package
April until October
Grand Tour of Switzerland - Custom Self Drive Package
Throughout the year